This easy play-dough recipe smells amazing, is ready in minutes & is calming for kids.
- Large Bowl
- Measuring cups, 1 Cup, 3/4 cup
- Measuring spoons, Tablespoon
- 3 Cups Flour plus extra for dusting in case the dough is too sticky (up to 1 cup extra). I buy whatever flour is on sale and different flours do react differently. White all purpose flour has a nice consistency, but fine pastry flour is the softest.
- ¾ cup Salt
- 2 TBSP Cream of Tartar
- 2 TBSP Oil Canola or olive
- 1 Cup Hot Water
- 30 drops Lavender Essential Oil Please use caution when using essential oils around children.
- 10+ drops Food coloring I divide the prepared dough and roll it into separate balls & make multiple colors
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl & blend together dry using a whisk.
- Add the oil
- Stir in 2 cups of hot water gently, but do not fully incorporate it with the whisk. Leave about half of the dough dry & stop mixing with the whisk.
- Do the rest of the mixing by hand. Kneed the dough until a smooth, if it doesn't get smooth add another tablespoon (or 2) of oil.
- Other Adjustments… If you stir too much it will get goopy, sticky or yucky. If this happens just dust it with a little flour & kneed it until a smooth dough forms.If you need more water it will look dry and flaky like a pastry crust, add another ½ cup of water and kneed until a smooth dough forms.
The finished play-dough will last about 2 months if stored in an air tight container or resealable bag.
Once it starts to dry out and not stick well it’s time to make a new batch. Divide the finished playdough ball in half and use different colors or store half in a ziplock bag for later use.