This easy paleo apple cake recipe is adapted to a Paleo friendly version from: Kristina Turner’s Self-Healing Cookbook.
I substituted the flour and sugar to make it Paleo friendly.
The cashew cream frosting really makes this an extra special treat. It’s could easily double as a healthy cake alternative. (See below for printable recipe.)
Paleo Apple Cake (Bread) Recipe
makes about 9 kid sized servings
Apple Bread INGREDIENTS:
- 2 Cups of flour (almond, coconut or your favorite Paleo flour. This year I’m going to try it with Birch Benders pancake mix… I’ll keep you posted how it turns out!)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground clove
- 4 tsp. maple syrup (to taste)
- 1/4 ground ginger or juice from 1 tsp fresh grated ginger (use a garlic press to extract the juice)
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half and “seeded” (scrape the sides to remove all of the beans) OR 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Paleo Apple Cake Directions:
Grab the kids and have them get washed up to help with this delicious treat! (See below for kid friendly cooking tools.)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease an 8×8 pan (I prefer glass) with safflower oil or grass-fed butter.
3. Slice and Steam apples
4. Sift together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, set aside.
5. In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients. Stir in dry ingredients and fold in apples.
Bake for 40-45 minutes @350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean.
Paleo Friendly Apple Cake
- 8x8 baking dish
- 2 cups Gluten Free Flour (almond, coconut or other Paleo Flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups diced apples
- 1 tbsp juice from 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- ¼ cup chopped almonds (I used Tamari flavored)
- ⅓ cup safflower or coconut oil or grassfed butter
- ⅓ tbsp butter or oil to prep pan
- 2 tsp maple syrup or honey
Cashew Creme Frosting
- 2 Cups soaked cashews
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- grated lemon peel, to taste start with a small pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease an 8x8 pan or dish with safflower or grass-fed butter.
- Soak Cashews
- Slice Apples
- Sift dry ingredients in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients. Gradually add dry ingredients. Fold in apples
- 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cashew Cream Frosting
- add all frosting ingredients to high speed blender. Blend & taste. Adjust as needed with more sweetener or small amounts of lemon zest.